Monday, November 10, 2008

Open Letter to McCain Supporters

While I am thrilled by the election of Barrack Obama, my heart goes out to those Americans who just as strongly supported McCain.

I well remember how I felt after the elections of 2000 and 2004, and can only guess that you’re feeling now some of what I felt then.

I suspect it might be too soon for anything to soften that upset. This election was an expression of the very real divisions that exist within our nation. However, I trust that we will find a way to bridge those divides over the next few months and years.

No, I don’t imagine it will be easy. A democratic republic requires hard work.

However, history is on our side. Strong differences have been the norm throughout the history of this country. During other times of strain, we survived and things moved forward. In just this way, we will move forward from this current juncture as well.

We are in this thing together, even though we viewed the candidates and the issues differently. We are fellow citizens of an amazing country, one that we each love dearly, and one that deserves our hard work and good faith to make better still.

Loanne Marie

No comments: